This program is a component regarding the (Res)MA History Programme. It isn’t available for BA pupils.
This Research Seminar is targeted on the archives of this VOC or Dutch East Asia business. It partly functions as a practical, more counterpart that is specific of Literature Seminar. It relates to a number of the basic archival dilemmas talked about here, but details them when you look at the context of a seventeenth- and 18th-century Dutch-Asian enterprise that is commercial. As the VOC records formally comprised company management, in practice additionally they functioned as a huge repository of valuable and key home elevators all kinds of occasions in early-modern Asia.
The different staying VOC archives are comprised of essayshark.com numerous differing kinds and even “genres” of papers, including maps. Further, they partly overlap with materials that fall beyond your confines of the collections, but are closely pertaining to them, such as for example personal documents, missionary records, travel records, as well as pieces of art. These diverse materials had been produced with various purposes, are comprised and organised in numerous means, and current information with various perspecitives.
This seminar considers and compares all of these sources from both an archival and a historiographical perspective. It searches for similarities and differences when considering, from the one hand, the VOC archives and, having said that, archives of contemporaneous Dutch institutions and of other European international trading organizations. Pupils who cannot(old that is read Dutch may assist such other European documents, as an example those associated with the English East Asia business.
The pupil has acquired:
- 1 The capability to individually determine and choose literary works, making use of traditional and techniques that are modern
- 2 The power to separately determine and choose sources, making use of conventional and contemporary strategies;
- 3 The capacity to analyse and assess a corpus of sources having a view to handling a specific historic issue;
- 4 the capability to analyse and assess literary works having a view to handling a certain historic issue;
- 5 the capacity to individually formulate an obvious and well-argued research concern, taking into consideration the concept and way of the field also to reduce this concern to available and workable sub-questions;
- 6 the capacity to independently put up and execute a original scientific study that will make a share to existing scholarly debates;
- 7 the capability to provide a well-founded and clear dental and written report on research outcomes in proper English, whenever needed, or Dutch, fulfilling the requirements for the discipline;
- 8 the capacity to take part in present debates into the specialisation;
- 9 the capacity to offer constructive feedback to and formulate criticism of this work of other people in addition to capability to measure the value of these critique and feedback on one’s very own work and feature it;
- 10 (ResMA just): The capacity to take part in a discussion associated with the theoretical fundamentals associated with control.
Learning goals, related to the specialisation
- 11 Thorough knowledge and comprehension of 1 of this specialisations or subspecialisations in addition to regarding the historiography for the specialisation, concentrating especially regarding the after; within the specialisation Archival Studies: archiving in a context that is colonial understanding of the value of archiving procedures for the manner in which a culture handles its paperwork heritage as a whole as well as its historic practice in specific; disclosure, including electronic disclosure, of archives within the wider heritage sector.
- 12 Thorough knowledge and comprehension for the theoretical, conceptual and methodological facets of the specialisation or subspecialisation at issue, having a focus that is particular the immediate following: in the specialisation Archival Studies: theoretical fundamentals of archivistics; evaluation and choice of archives.
Learning goals, with respect to this Research Seminar
- 13 Thorough knowledge of the organization for the VOC archives and exactly how it comes even close to the organization of closely associated materials (personal documents, missionary records, etc.), to archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations also to documents of other European trading that is overseas.
- 14 Thorough comprehension of exactly exactly how these various organisational maxims are associated with the objectives and audiences of the materials plus the type and tone of data they have.
- 15 the capacity to analyse and compare archives developed within an early-modern context that is dutch-non-Western.
- 16 (ResMA only): the capacity to put up and execute research that is original raises brand brand new concerns, pioneers brand new apporaches and/or points to new guidelines for future research.